Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave a 5 point mantra to tax administrators on Thursday while inaugurating the two-day ‘Rajasva Gyan Sangam’, an annual conference of Central Board of Direct Taxes or CBDT and Central Board of Excise and Customs or CBEC) in Delhi.
The 5 pillars of tax administration are RAPID- revenue, accountability, probity, information and digitisation.
Prime Minister also emphasised on the need to remove fear of harassment by tax administrators from the minds of taxpayers and asked tax officials to engender trust in the taxation system.
As Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day ‘Rajasva Gyan Sangam’ all officers were rather eager to hear his thoughts on the subject, but the Prime Minster instead started by inviting suggestions from the officers gathered there.
Nonetheless, as the meeting progressed, Prime Minister motivated the revenue officers towards achieving high standards in taxpayer friendly service and put forth the new mantra of RAPID.
The word stands for five essential pillars of tax administration – revenue, accountability, probity, information and digitization.
The meet also focussed on the fact that over 92% of the tax is collected online via the TDS source and the officers have to make assessment for only the remaining 8%.
That gives the question as to why over 4200 revenue officials cannot enlarge the tax coverage in the country.
As of today, around 5 crore 43 lakh people pay taxes in India, while the target is to increase the figure to 10 crores.
The same can be achieved if the officials work hard to raise the level of trust and confidence with the tax assessee.