The Supreme Court today expressed unhappiness over non-appearance of Uttar Pradesh Minister Azam Khan through his lawyer in connection with the sensational Bulandshahr gangrape case and asked CBI to serve a fresh notice on the Samajwadi Party leader.
“In our considered opinion, the respondent number 2 (Khan) should have entered appearance as there is a direct allegation against him. In view of the aforesaid, we direct CBI to serve the notice on respondent number 2,” a bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra said.
As per reports, the apex court directed the apex court registry to provide copy of the case records along with the notice to CBI for serving them on the minister.
As per reports, the court said that it seems whatever had been said by Khan is in ‘his personal capacity’.
The remarks came when Additional Solicitor General Maninder Singh, appearing for CBI, submitted that the notice could have been served through UP government as Khan is part of the cabinet.
The bench, allowed the counselor appearing for the victim’s father to file additional documents in the case and fixed the matter for further hearing on October 25.
The brutal incident had happened on the night of July 29 when a group of highway robbers stopped the car of a Noida-based family and sexually assaulted the woman and her daughter after dragging them out of the vehicle at gun-point.